One week left before the Hip-Hop Awards. I am a major procrastinator - so of course I have not completed my image make-over. I am so excited and yet so depressed because I have not done one thing I said I was going to do. Today is the day that I take control.
I created a list a couple of weeks back, that I need to do in order to look my best. The first thing was my hair - that's accomplished, next thing that's important is my makeup. First let me say, that I LOVE makeup. Especially make-up with tons of color. I am a fun, friendly & flirty type girl so I need a lot of color to promote my image (as well as my business).
I asked my buddy Destiny, who is make-up artist for Henri Bendel, what products I should use to give me the look that I want. Ladies - take note. Normally, I do not provide my secret beauty tips. However, since Thanksgiving is coming up, I am in a pretty good mood. So what the hell?
(1.) The key to having a perfectly made up face is having a clean face. (DUH!!!) I take a lot of time to clean my face every day and night so that my make-up looks vivid. Of course different products work for different people, so here is my regimen:
- I use a brown sugar scrub on my face twice a week. I mix a teaspoon of brown sugar with 1 teaspoon of honey and apple cider vinegar. I scrub my face - very gently for about five minutes.
- After the brown sugar scrub, I use egg whites as a mask. I take the egg whites and put them on my face and leave it for about 30 minutes. It will begin to turn into a hard crusty substance.
- After 30 minutes, I take a warm, steamed wash rag and put it on my face to scrub off the egg. You should notice that your skin tone will be a lot brighter and appear cleaner.
- Next, I use Dove cleaner to wash my face and remove whatever existing products remain on my face.
- Next, I follow up the cleansing with a moisturizing toner with cotton pads.
- Finally, I moisturize my face with Dove moisturizer.
*** I also use a tooth whitener while I am cleansing my face - twice a day***
(2.) Application of makeup - now this will depend on heavy you want your make-up to be. Since I take good care of my skin, I don't need heavy make-up. :). Here is the application process that my good friend Destiny recommends:
- Use concealer on any blemishes that you may have on your face first. Destiny recommends concealer from Mac. However, you can buy concealer at a drug store and it works just the same
- Powder- I use powder on my face. Some prefer liquid. I use Mac foundation on my face with a brush. Ladies - use a brush- you will notice the difference of how your makeup looks when it is applied with a brush.
- Cheeks - I like skinshimmer by Mac or Flirt shimmering powder by Estee Lauder. I think it is really pretty and it brings out the glow in my face.
- Eyes - I love eyeliner. It brings a sexiness to my eyes that I love. I also happen to love my eyes and this is where I want most of the attention to be. I cannot suggest a good eyeliner, because frankly, I have not found one that I really like. The colors I like to use are blue, black and brown. I also use different color eye-shadows, however the color of my eyeshadow depends on what I am wearing.
- Mascara - Okay. I just realized that I have pretty decent eyelashes. So its important that my eyelashes look perfect. Destiny recommends Bad Girl Lash from Benefit. That $18.00 bucks bit me, but I have to say that it is worth it.
- Lips - I love Lip glass by Mac. I usually choose subtle lip colors, because I love eyeshadow so much and I want the attention to go to my eyes. I also like the lip colors by Flirt.
(3.) Now that you have my make-up tips, don't forget to wash your make-up off with a good make-up remover. My favorite remover is from Mary Kay. Mary Kay also has excellent cleansing and makeup products.